Saturday, October 8, 2011

Shakespeare Marathon, Part II: (Watching/Reading Antony & Cleopatra)

One minor misfortune has befallen me as I attempt to take on every play by Shakespeare via the cinematic treatment. This bit of bad luck is the fact that I cannot access the 1972 television adaptation of Antony & Cleopatra starring Charlton Heston. Normally, one does not associate Heston with Shakespeare, but I was looking forward for a bit of an escape from a series that, while admirable, can be a bit confining. That series, of course, is the BBC Shakespeare.

So, I have spent the latter part of this evening enjoying the 171-minute spectacle and eagerly anticipate tomorrow's screening of As You Like It. Not only do I have the BBC option, but an Internet search has revealed that a 1936 film adaptation starring Olivier is freely available on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment